Using Lucid identification keys
- Java must be installed on your computer. Apple computers come with Java pre-installed. PC users, please visit the Java web site for the latest version.
- Turn off all pop-up blockers. If left on, you will not be able to open a taxon page from within the Lucid key.
- Some features are only available after another feature is selected, such as wing features become available to select only after “wings present’ is selected.
- View an image of a Feature by clicking the image icon next to it . Or you can turn on the Feature Thumbnails by clicking the “Feature Thumbnails” button.
- Many Feature images have a “magic arrow” animation to point out particular features. Click the blue “Play” button to see the animation.
- Use the “Best” , “Next Best” , and “Prune Redundant Features” buttons to track through the system efficiently. Many users will find that it is useful to use the two buttons “Best” and “Prune” alternately, one after the other. Note that Lucid will always select multiple choice questions before questions with only two choices. With multiple choice questions, such as colour of antennal segments, or precise position of ocellar setae, the user should select two states when no clear decision seems possible.
- To view thrips taxon information, click the page icon next to the taxon name.
- For more details on using the Lucid player, click the “Help” button.